From the Latin "Lignum" (wood), the name appear for the first time in a document where the Pope Alexandre III confirms a gift made to the church of St Imier by the Lord of Neuchâtel, Ulrich III of Fenis.
The 1st April 1277, cession of the territory and rights on Lignières by Rodolphe, Lord of Nidau (AEN 914 - CH/NE/09 - Monuments de Matile)
In 1326, Lignières is split between the Lords of Neuchâtel (Count Louis) and the Bishop of Basel.
The Justice of Lignières was newly composed of 12 juges, 6 of which were subjects of the Count and 6 subjects of the Bishop. The Bishop elected the Maire and the Count the Sergent.
The village was virtually split in half.
At the end of his reign, Count Louis bought back from the Bishop Jean of Vienne, the rights that the Bishop still had on part of the inhabitants of Lignières.
The people of Lignières must have regreted the times of the Bishop, as this Year they decided to buy themselves back from the Count & offer Lignières back to the Bishop.
Protestant Worship starts in Lignières
Farel came and preached in the month of July, with the help of the people of La Neuveville. People from Le Landeron (catholic) tried to prevent the preaching from happening.
Plague in Lignières : 140 people die in a short time.
The Catholic Vicar ran away, the autorities of Le Landeron stopped any transport of deads from Lignières to the Cemetery of Le Landeron.
The people of Lignières, not knowing to which Saint to turn, wrote a letter on June 30th, 1553 to the Neuchâtel Governor, asking him to have a Protestant Ministre come to the village.
Lignières exchanged against Bournevesin, Pérouse and Miécourt
The Bishop of Basel, Guillaume Rinck of Baldenstein, hands over to Henri II of Longueville all of its rights on Lignières, against the villages of Bournevesin, Pérouse and Miécourt.
Agreement to stop territory disputes
Signed on the 20 juin 1705, it was decided in La Neuveville that the High boundary stones would be used to separate the two Sovereignty, and small boundary stones where those small stones where layed at the time of the Plague. It was decided that in between the High and small boundary stones, Justice would be held by the Lords of Neuchâtel. (follows the geographical position of each boundary Stone)
Decree of the Commune of Lignières - Taxes on Foreign women
On the 26th February 1714, it was decided that men taking a wife outside of the State would have to pay 200 "Ecus Bons", to fund those poors of the Commune, including foreign wifes that were thrown out of their house and left to the goodwill of the Population...
(Signed): Jean-Jacques Junod
Decree for the Community of Lignières, to improve farming results, adopted the 20th December 1785
(ACL, AAII 1785)
Follows 10 articles and Sanctions, whereby an area of Lignières would be closed up, not allowing cattle to cross those fields, to improve the Harvest. See the French version for details.