overflight - from the XIIth to the XVIIIth century...
Century - First written articles about Lignières
the Latin "Lignum" (wood), the name appear for the first time in a
document where the Pope Alexandre III confirms a gift made to the church
of St Imier by the Lord of Neuchâtel, Ulrich III of Fenis.
1st April 1277, cession of the territory and rights on Lignières
by Rodolphe, Lord of Nidau (AEN 914 - CH/NE/09 - Monuments de Matile)
1326, Lignières is split between the Lords of Neuchâtel
(Count Louis) and the Bishop of Basel.
Justice of Lignières was newly composed of 12 juges, 6 of which
were subjects of the Count and 6 subjects of the Bishop. The Bishop
elected the Maire and the Count the Sergent.
The village was virtually split in half.
the end of his reign, Count Louis bought back from the Bishop Jean
of Vienne, the rights that the Bishop still had on part of the inhabitants
people of Lignières must have regreted the times of the Bishop,
as this Year they decided to buy themselves back from the Count & offer
Lignières back to the Bishop.
Worship starts in Lignières
came and preached in the month of July, with the help of the people
of La Neuveville. People from Le Landeron (catholic) tried to prevent
the preaching from happening.
in Lignières : 140 people die in a short time.
Catholic Vicar ran away, the autorities of Le Landeron stopped any
transport of deads from Lignières to the Cemetery of Le Landeron.
people of Lignières, not knowing to which Saint to turn, wrote
a letter on June 30th, 1553 to the Neuchâtel Governor, asking
him to have a Protestant Ministre come to the village.
exchanged against Bournevesin, Pérouse and Miécourt
Bishop of Basel, Guillaume Rinck of Baldenstein, hands over to Henri
II of Longueville all of its rights on Lignières, against the
villages of Bournevesin, Pérouse and Miécourt.
to stop territory disputes
on the 20 juin 1705, it was decided in La Neuveville that the High
boundary stones would be used to separate the two Sovereignty, and
small boundary stones where those small stones where layed at the time
of the Plague. It was decided that in between the High and small boundary
stones, Justice would be held by the Lords of Neuchâtel. (follows
the geographical position of each boundary Stone)
of the Commune of Lignières - Taxes on Foreign women
the 26th February 1714, it was decided that men taking a wife outside
of the State would have to pay 200 "Ecus Bons", to fund those poors
of the Commune, including foreign wifes that were thrown out of their
house and left to the goodwill of the Population...
(Signed): Jean-Jacques Junod
for the Community of Lignières, to improve farming results,
adopted the 20th December 1785
(ACL, AAII 1785)
10 articles and Sanctions, whereby an area of Lignières
would be closed up, not allowing cattle to cross those fields,
the Harvest. See the French version for details.